Sunday 2 August 2009

Music Video Log






Have been watching 'festival favourites' on VH1

Most relevant to my project was 'Live Forever' Oasis video directed by Carlos Grasso, where the band are digging up what looks like a community garden, only at the end you realise it is a grave. They bury their drummer in it, but then he ressurrects himself at the end holding drumsticks. I can't stand Noels slurry vocals myself but the words are quite relevant to my own garden themed music video project:

Maybe I don't really want to know
How your garden grows
I just want to fly Lately did you ever feel the pain
In the morning rain
As it soaks it to the bone

Maybe I just want to fly
I want to live I don't want to die
Maybe I just want to breath
Maybe I just don't believe
Maybe you're the same as me
We see things they'll never see
You and I are gonna live forever

Maybe I don't really want to know
How your garden grows
I just want to fly Lately did you ever feel the pain
In the morning rain
As it soaks it to the bone

Maybe I will never be
All the things that I want to be
But now is not the time to cry
Now's the time to find out why
I think you're the same as me
We see things they'll never see
You and I are gonna live forever
We're gonna live forever
Gonna live forever
Live forever
Forever

Also watched:
'Right here, right now' -Fatboy Slim, showing animal evolution in an eastward scanning journey until a big fat man wearing a 'why try harder' T shirt ends the journey by slouching on a bench prompting the camera to scan upwards, signifying the end of the journey.

Elbow 'Any Day Now', very simple illustration of job direction/confusion in an unbothered young person. Love this song, reminds me of when I worked in a mudane job with one other engraver who gave up career path of graphic design for monotonous work and his family in Sheffield

'FEAR', Ian Brown I hadn't heard this before, really clever wordplay in the initials of the word' Fear'

E.g.
Forget Everything And Remember
Forget Everybody And Remember
For Everything A Reason

There were more lyrics like this! Then a chorus of 'you got the fear? with references to beliefs and religion'. The video is of Mr Brown on a bicycle ride in reverse, starting in Chinatown (London or Manchester I'm not sure which, but I'd thought London). It seemed to me to be about progress of your journey in life.

Frans Ferdinand 'Take me on' Great graphical style with newspaper print and typefaces enlarged and carefully selected, clever laboured animation of figures.

Blur 'Boys N Girls' Kind of tacky video.

Katy Perry 'Hot N Cold' 2008. I enjoy this video of a bride annoyed at an indecisive groom.

No comments:

Post a Comment