Saturday 25 July 2009

Kane...Cane... Cain?

I watched Citizen Kane last night in one sitting. Directed by Orson Welles and starring himself as the main charachter.

I'd voluntarily attended a few 'Film History' seminars run for BA Animators at Kingston University, at the start of the course because I'm on the MA course.

One of the scenes played to us was from Citizen Kane where a marriage breakdown is summarised in about a minute through clips of the couple at a breakfast table getting more distanced as time passed.

I havent researched into ths film and the response to it at the time, but I found it effective at communicating a point about what is not love... love of power and control, glory, selfish ambition, love of money, thinking other things can replace human care.
Maybe every man is a wicked Kane. Ooh, only writing that just now I'm seeing a Cain and Abel reference... biblical Cain slays his brother, being the first violent charachter we learn about in the bible.
I'd been thinking last night that the title 'Kane' was referring to the symbol of a 'Cane', like a big stick to hit people with and let no-one get in the way. Maybe that stick got its name from Cain too.

No comments:

Post a Comment